CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Black Bean and Pepper Quesadillas


A couple of months ago I had emailed this recipe to my sisters to try because I liked it so much. I was making it again the other night and I had to laugh cause my sister texted me and said "We tried those quesadillas tonight and I just wanted to tell you how good they were!" It's funny because we both made them the same night, with plans to blog about it the next day! Great minds think alike right? :) She did a couple different things, which I thought were great, so I'll add those in.

This is the second time I have made this yummy dinner and it certainly won't be the last. I used to think I didn't like black beans, but because of this recipe I am now a fan! This is so simple, quick, and DELICIOUS! 

First, mash your can of rinsed, black beans...

Then add in a cup of cheese (a little extra never hurt), your spices: onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, your peppers, and salsa...that's it!

Stir it all together...

Spread it on half a flour tortilla, whole wheat, multigrain, whatever you like...

Grill it up! I spread a little butter on each side to brown it and crisp it up nice...

I like to eat this with guacomle as well, but didn't have any today, so just picture it next to the salsa! Also I think it would be good with a side of spanish/mexican rice. Maybe next time. :) 




***My sister Callie added beef chunks and tomatoes to hers as well. She used the quesadilla as a taco, so she folded it and put the beef chunks, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, etc on the inside. (Think double decker taco at Taco Bell!) I thought it was pretty creative and sounded tasty!

Black Bean and Pepper Quesadilla

1 can (19 oz) black beans, rinsed
1 whole chopped bell pepper (red, orange, yellow-or a combo, I also precooked them in the microwave)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used colby jack)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 large flour tortillas

Mash up your black beans. Stir in peppers, cheese, salsa, and spices until fully combined. Spread onto one half of a tortilla, then fold in half. Cook the quesadillas on a large non-stick skillet or electric frying pan on medium heat until golden brown, then flip and repeat on the other side. Serve with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole.


Happy eating! I promise your family will love this one!!! 

1 comments:

Callie

We tried this also using multigrain tortillas and they were super good. I was so mad at myself for mixing in the cheese before setting aside some for myself. :( I think the meal would be filling enough for 5-6 normal people but since I count Brian's appetite as 3 regular grown men appetities I doubled it and used the beef chunks and spanish rice as filling to stretch it. I heard they were super filling (Brian ended up only eating one and a half). I'm never mad over leftovers! And the best part is that you can make these in under 20 minutes!! GREAT FIND!

Post a Comment