CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peach Crunch Cake



One thing I miss about Utah is the change of the seasons and the festivities surrounding them. Where I'm from, September is all about Peach Days, (and BYU football of course)! My hometown has their Peach Days this next week, and every year (before we moved to Hawaii) I always eat a favorite of mine...peach cobbler! I've missed out on it the last couple of years, but I was determined to make some this year! My dad's is arguably the best, cooked to perfection in a dutch oven. Since I don't have my dad, or a dutch oven here, I had to do some searching for the perfect recipe, but I found a spectacular one! I knew I could trust Bakerella's Peach Crunch Cake. It rivals my dad's peach cobbler for sure. I tweaked it just a bit more for my liking. I think it's a little sweeter than dad's, more caramel like, and has a crunchy texture to it, which was a bonus! I made this batch for some friends and they loved it too! It's so easy, only 5 ingredients, you just dump and bake! Here we go...

While your oven is preheating to 350 degrees, throw in your can of light syrup peaches (2 small cans or one big one). 

Cut the peaches into bite size pieces...

After you cut the peaches, sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the top. (You can use any cake mix you like, but in my opinion, Yellow is a must for peach cobbler!) Now, if you are following the recipe correctly, the butter slices go on next, but I forgot and did that after the brown sugar. It came out just fine though, so either way I guess!  

*As a side note, I think you could just eyeball the amount of brown sugar to use. I think I will cut back a little on the amount next time. It was VERY sweet, but also very caramely, and chewy, yum!

Then after the cake mix, butter slices, and brown sugar, sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top. She used walnuts but I do NOT like walnuts. I was hesitant to even use pecans because my cobbler has never had nuts before. I tried it, and was SO GLAD that I did. It really kicked it up 10 notches and I will never have a cobbler without them again.

So that's it! No mixing, no nothing. Just let the oven work its magic.

40 minutes later you will have the most heavenly peach dessert!

Serve warm, with ice cream, it's a must!


Peach Crunch Cake
adapted from Bakerella

24.5 oz jar of peaches in light syrup 
1 box yellow cake mix 
1 stick of butter, cut into 16 slices
1 cup brown sugar (do not pack sugar, just a nice loose scoop, or just eyeball it!)
1/2 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dump the peaches and syrup into a 9x13. Cut them into bite size pieces. Sprinkle the cake mix on top. Layer the butter slices across the top evenly. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Sprinkle the pecans. Throw it in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream.

***You can do any variation you like with this. I've heard of some doing pineapple and coconut, cherries and chocolate cake, blueberries and lemon cake. They all sound good to me, but peach is definitely my favorite! You could even add a little cinnamon or nutmeg to this version if you wanted. But I promise my way is pretty darn perfect. :)

Happy Peach Days Brigham City!

2 comments:

Callie

This is by far my most favorite peach dessert! It was SOOO SOO GOOD! I would never have thought of the brown sugar and pecans but they totally made the dish. I will be doing this with any cobbler that I make. Oh my oh my it was so so good! So glad that I tried this. I'd give it 5 stars and 2 thumbs way up!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller

It was delicious. I'm not normally a huge fan of cobbler but this...UH-MAY-ZING!

Post a Comment