CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Black Bean Casserole


Now that I've discovered that I like black beans, I'm exploring other black bean dishes...like this one! It sounded yummy, so we tried it out and really liked it! Nothing fancy, just your ordinary mexican casserole, but it was easy, and healthy. Actually the ingredients are a lot like black bean and pepper quesadillas, but in casserole form! Don't let it fool ya, I can assure you it tastes completely different! I wasn't sure about the corn tortillas in this recipe. I always prefer flour over corn, but I gave them a shot in this particular dish...and ya know what? It was my favorite part! :)

Prehat your oven to 350 degrees. Then saute your green pepper and 1/2 an onion in some olive oil.

While the veggies are sauteeing, spray your 9x13 dish and layer 6 corn tortillas. I used yellow corn, but white would be fine too.

Once the veggies are nice and soft, throw in the rest of the ingredients....salsa, diced tomatoes, black beans, cumin, and chili powder. *I think next time I will even add in some garlic powder to give it a little more flavor. (Kind of the same flavorings as in my black bean quesadilla mixture, which I LOVE.) **I also thought that some taco seasoned cooked, diced chicken would be good in here too. Maybe next time!

Once you have combined all the ingredients in the pan. Layer 1/3 of that mixture over the corn tortillas.

Next comes the mozzarella!

Then start your layering all over again with the corn tortillas, bean mixture, then cheese. Do this 3 times total and end with cheese. I also topped mine with some sliced olives....very glad I did! Bake for 25-30 minutes, until warm and cheese is melted.


Enjoy!


Hubby liked his served with sour cream. Me? Not so much this time. I usually prefer sour cream with dishes like this, but I liked it lots more with no sour cream. Give it a try!




Black Bean Casserole
adapted from Hopeful Homemaker


1/2 onion chopped
1 green pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup salsa
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
18 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
sliced olives
sour cream *if desired


In pan, saute onion and bell pepper in 1 tsp. olive oil.  Add tomatoes, black beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin.  Cover bottom of 9×13 inch pan with tortillas.  Spread 1/3 bean mixture over the tortillas, then layer 2/3 cup cheese over beans.  Repeat layers twice more, ending with cheese.  Sprinkle with sliced olives, if desires.  Cover and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.  Serve with sour cream if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment