CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 7, 2011

Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie




I am really not kidding you when I say this is the best pot pie you will ever eat. Just promise me that you will try it at least once! Once is all you need though, because it will keep you coming back for more. Such a delicious comfort food. It is creamy, and full of flavor! It requires a few pots and pans and a bit of prep work, but it is worth it, oh so worth it. We LOVE this dish!


Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
made it my own, with a little help from allrecipes.com



  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots *You can just use 2 cups of the frozen pea/carrot combo, but I do prefer the taste of fresh carrots over frozen. It sure is a big time saver though!
  • 1 cup frozen green peas 
  • 1 cup peeled and cubed potato *or 1 cup frozen hashbrowns southern style (the cubed kind)
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/3 cup butter 
  • 1/2 of an onion chopped
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth *Use the chicken broth that you cook the veggies in, save it don't drain!
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts 

  • In a skillet cook your chicken and season with salt and pepper and a DASH of poultry seasoning. When chicken is done, let set until cooled and cut into cubes. During all of this this you can get your chicken broth boiling. Boil 3 cups of chicken broth in a saucepan. When it reaches boiling, throw in your peas, carrots, potatoes, and celery. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Put a bowl under the strainer to catch your chicken broth and drain the veggies into the strainer. DON'T throw the broth away!!! 

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Now in another large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in 1/3 cup butter until soft and translucent. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning and celery seed. Slowly stir in the chicken broth that you have set aside and the milk. Simmer over medium low heat until thick. Now pour the veggies and cubed chicken into the sauce and mix until combined.  

  • Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Cover with a top pie crust. Seal the edges and cut away the excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. I then brushed the top of the crust with milk to add color, but you could do an egg wash or nothing at all! Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.

***A few tips! I have doubled this recipe and frozen one of the pies. The frozen pie came out perfectly when it was cooked! (Just lower the temperature to 325 and cook for an hour). The other tip I could give you is cutting the vegetables and cooking the chicken the night before. It saves you SO MUCH time and dishes for the next day.



Linked these up on
Mommy’s Kitchen

9 comments:

Abby

I have been wanting to make chicken pot pie!! My husband is not a fan but I'm the cook and haven't had one in years! I think he owes it to me :)

Lisa

That really does look like the best chicken pot pie I've ever seen. I bet people can't wait to get a piece of that.

Bites of Sweetness

I LOVE chicken pot pie! I will definitely be trying this recipe!

Callie

Yep this TOTALLY rocked my tastebuds tonight! I had a hard time allowing the filling to be put into the pie crusts to bake. So worth the time and dishes :) Can't say enough good things about it :)

The Souper

To Delicious Discoveries:

You are a recipient of "The Lovely Blog Award". I adore your blog and appreciate all the hard work and love you put into your recipes! To see the award please visit
http://www.prep2eat.blogspot.com/

Please pass this award along to 15 other deserving bloggers. Congrats!

The Souper

Anonymous

ok no joke: THIS RECIPE ROCKS! I made it last night and doubled the recipe. So good. I added lots of fresh minced garlic, several tablespoons of tarragon (trust me, its perfect for this and chicken noodle soup), I also added lima bean.

Thanks for sharing a great recipe as was looking for something to drink a bottle of wine while making from scratch. Awesome!

Josh

Christina

THANK YOU!!! I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and have been looking for comfort food recipes that I can freeze so all I have to do is take it out and stick it in the oven. Looks (and I know it will taste) GREAT!

Anonymous

Worst nightmare ever. I will never work with pastry again. I think I used every pot, pan and bowl in my kitchen. I have never had any luck with pastry including ready made. I have no idea what this pot pie tasted like because I was so frustrated I ended up tossing it all.

Coolest.Kid

^Yeah, you must not cook from scratch a lot. You also need to work on your frustration; you let a recipe make you throw away perfectly good food because you were frustrated by all the utensils needed? That's kooky, considering that there are people starving in your country. You could have used that for something else.

Oh, and this pot pie was great! I used it for after Christmas at my mom's and everybody loved it and thought that I was excellent cook.


- Ryan

Post a Comment