CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mom's Spanish Rice

 

This dish is a favorite from my childhood. I have no idea where my mom got it or why it is even called Spanish rice, but she's been making it for forever and our family loves it. It is kind of a funny recipe and really isn't anything like the spanish rice you are probably used to, but give it a chance. When I married my husband he thought it was the strangest thing, but now he loves it. The bacon really makes this dish spectacular. We always ate it as a main dish instead of a side dish and always with a can of green beans, but for you skeptics out there you can serve it as a side dish. :)

Mom's Spanish Rice
recipe from mom

3 cups cooked white rice (I'll do a half white and brown sometimes)
6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (save a little bacon grease to cook onion)
1/2 onion diced
1 can tomato soup condensed
Shredded cheddar cheese
*Salt and pepper to taste (we always just seasoned our own portion to taste after it was cooked)

Cook rice. Cook bacon and leave some bacon grease in skillet or griddle, however you cook it. Cook the diced onions in the bacon grease until translucent. Mix the 3 cups cooked rice with the tomato soup. Throw in  the crumbled bacon and onions.  Mix together until combined. Spread into a casserole dish, fits nicely into the smaller than 9x13 size. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until cheese is melted.

1 comments:

Callie

I love Spanish Rice! B even made it for me as my birthday dinner--that's how much I love it. B thought it was weird too at first and still doesn't think of it as a main dish, but whatever I'm still making it as such! I've switched and started serving it with a can (or frozen bag) of corn. Gotta love those green beans!! :)

Post a Comment