CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 8, 2010

Birthday Macaroni Salad



My friends and I were getting together for a little pot luck lunch on my birthday (hence the name Birthday Macaroni Salad). It was late at night and I didn't have any time to run to the store so I kind of had to think of a dish that I could bring, that was in my cupboards and fridge at home. I initially wanted to do a macaroni salad, always a good pot luck item. Well, I didn't have a lot of the veggies I would use in my family's traditional macaroni salad, but I had macaroni noodles and miracle whip, so I knew I could throw together something! I looked through the cupboards, grabbed a few more items and went with it. Now let me explain why this was kind of a scary thing for me...I'm not the type of person that can make up her own recipes on a whim and I'm certainly not one to venture too far from an original recipe. I don't have much faith in my cooking judgement, with good reason (ask my husband), but this time it actually turned out great. It felt kinda good that I had done my own thing and it turned out delicious! (I must be getting better at this cooking business with all the cooking I've been doing this year!) 

Everyone loved it and wanted the recipe. Always a good sign! I figured I'd better write down the recipe while I can still remember it! I'm sure you all have these items in your kitchen too. So if you need a last minute potluck item, try this one out!

Birthday Macaroni Salad

2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
1/2 onion diced 
1/2 small can sliced olives
1 can tuna
Peas *almost a cup-ish
1 heaping cup of Miracle Whip *I added a little the next day, it had tried out some
1 tsp dill
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 tsp celery seed 
1/2-1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
*I think halved cherry tomatoes, and/or broccoli, and/or shredded cheese would be good in this as well! The seasonings I just kinda eyed it, so feel free to do as you please!

Cook macaroni according to box directions and drain, set aside. In large bowl combine Miracle Whip, sugar, dill, celery seed, seasoned salt and black pepper together. Once they are combined well add diced onion, olives, tuna, peas and macaroni. Mix together well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving, the longer the better! Add more seasonings if needed or to taste!

0 comments:

Post a Comment