CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 28, 2011

Crockpot Lasagna



I saw this recipe for a crockpot lasagna at Gourmified and I couldn't believe it, I had to try it out. It turned out even better than I thought it would, and no one will even know it is loaded with veggies! My family gobbled this right up and we enjoyed the leftovers. It was so easy, just throw it in the pot and done in 3 hours! You can really play around with this recipe and make it your own. I added veggies and a few other spices, and next time I think I'll cook some ground beef and onions and throw that in there as well. You can't go wrong!

Crockpot Lasagna
adapted from Gourmified via Jessica Seinfeld on Oprah.com

3 cans (14.4 ounces) crushed tomatoes *you could easily use your favorite red pasta sauce and wouldn't need the extra seasonings below 
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T dried oregano *I do not like oregano so I only used 1/4-1/2 tsp ground oregano
2 tsp dried basil 
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes 
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 containers (15 ounces each) fresh ricotta *I used one container and it was perfect for our taste. For a healthier option go with one container!
2 cups (8 ounces) grated mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
12 lasagna noodles *I did not use an entire box, maybe just half of a box. I forgot to count! Use at least 9 or so, to absorb some of the liquid so it doesn't get watery!
4-5 cups baby spinach
1 medium zucchini chopped 
1/2 onion chopped
1 lb pre-cooked ground beef  *optional

If desired, pre-cook your ground beef with the 1/2 onion, season with salt and pepper. Drain the extra fat and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, red pepper and black pepper. Add in the zucchini, onion, and ground beef. Mix until combined. (If it seems dry, just add in more crushed tomatoes or your favorite red sauce.)

In the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, spread a thin layer of the sauce/veggie mixture. Top with 3 of the noodles (breaking to fit as necessary). Spread about 1 cup of the sauce over the noodles and layer with the spinach. Spoon the ricotta over the spinach in small dollops. You don't need to spread it around. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and a little bit of the parmesan. Repeat twice more with the noodles, sauce, spinach and cheeses. Top with the remaining 3 noodles, sauce and the rest of your mozzarella! Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Until the noodles in the middle are tender.


2 comments:

Gourmified

Hooray! So glad you liked it!

Callie

We had this today and the flavors were spot on. I used only 1 tub of ricotta and added fresh parsley to the sauce. I didn't use the number of noodles (I did like half) as stated in the recipe because I got nervous that it would be too much and not enough liquid. I was so wrong! I also forgot to add my FD Zucchini (still mad about it). I thought a mildly spicy sausage would be a yummy flavor combination too. Great find! Loved that it was so easy!

Post a Comment